Sunday 18 November 2012

MJ's roadmap to fashion

At first, I wasn't sure if I should even blog about fashion, but living in Italy, there is no way, I cannot write about it. My fashion history has been influenced by a multitude of countries, styles and comfort levels. In order to understand my approach to fashion, here is what you need to know about my past clothing habits:
Barbie doll (ages of 14 to 20): Living in rural northern Germany, big city fashion such as leather mini skirts, high heels, ponchos and full make-up just weren't the style. Nirvana ruled my school and thus the fashion that came along with the grunge era was mainstream back then: who wore torn blue jeans, worn-out converse all-stars and t-shirts portraying late Kurt Cobain was cool; MJ in her tight skirts and pantyhose was not so cool. However, it was my conscious choice to wear these Parisian inspired outfits and I refused to conform to the mainstream look. The "Barbie doll" comments in the hallway of my school did not want to make me change my look.
New World meets Old World (ages 20-24): I lived in Florida for one year when I was 20 years old, then moved back to my home town. I was torn between laid-back Floridian casual wear made by Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger and pretty items floating around in my closet from back in the days. My style during my early twenties could be described as: no style at all.
Canadian student, eh? (ages 24-30): My non-existent fashion would soon be changed into Canadian university style when I studied in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Sweat pants, sweat shirts, Ugg boots and thick winter jackets were part of my wardrobe. The key fashion rules were: comfy, comfy, comfy and as many layers as possible for the below-30-something-winter on the Canadian East Coast.
Old World meets New World (ages 30-33): From Canada I moved to Munich, Germany. A city known for somewhat conservative somewhat trendy women with an expensive taste. My Ugg boots still worked well for a while, but the sweat pants could not even be worn to the supermarket around the corner. There was no dress code at the editorial office I worked at, so again, my style during my early thirties could be described as: no style at all.
Italian fashionista (ages 33 to present): Apart from my lululemon yoga outfits that I will never ban from of my closet the rest of my wardrobe has become very much Italian. Still, I might never become a true Italian fashionista but the influence in the land of "moda" has already out-razed the mix of rural German, chic Parisian, casual Floridian and comfy Canadian in me.



No comments:

Post a Comment